For victims of car theft

It’s every car owner’s nightmare, you wake up to find your pride and joy has been taken.

Unfortunately this is an all too common occurrence with car theft being quite prevalent in Australia. An estimated 50,000 cars are stolen per year, which works out to about 1 car stolen every 10- 12 mins.

Ok, so it’s happened. You have looked outside and realised your car is missing, what should you do?

Firstly, try to relax, as hard as it might be to keep your shit together at a time like this, you will need to be calm and collected to speak with the police and your insurance company.

Dealing with police and your insurance provider for a car theft claim can be maddening, but with these few pointers, hopefully the process can run a little smoother for you.

Call the Police –

Grab your phone and immediately report it to the police. While you’re waiting for them to arrive, go and speak with your neighbours to see if they saw anything or may have captured something on CCTV.

You will need all of your cars details on hand when the police arrive, so have as much ready as possible:

  • Car make, model and colour
  • Any identifying properties, large rear window sticker etc.
  • Registration number
  • VIN number
  • Timeframe of the car theft happening
  • A list of items you had in the car

 The police will provide you with a report number that you will need to give to your insurance provider.

 Call your insurance provider –

Once you have the police report number, give your insurance a call.

Depending on your level of coverage, they may provide a temporary vehicle, pay taxi fares etc. Your policy will determine what you are entitled too and what you can claim, so check you PDS when you lodge the claim.

Your insurer will need from you:

  • Your insurance policy number
  • Your name, address and driver’s licence number
  • The date and, if possible, the exact time the theft occurred
  • Your vehicle registration number
  • The stolen vehicle report from the police

Speak with your insurer about the fastest and easiest way for you to lodge your claim, online is usually the simplest.

 Car insurance ombudsman –

If you’re having difficulties with your insurer, you’re not happy with how your claim was handled or feel they have not held up their end of the bargain, then you can contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) to get some support in resolving your dispute.

The AFCA is responsible for settling issues between financial service providers and consumers. You can visit their website for more information on the assistance they offer.

Phone number: 1800 931 678
Website: www.afca.org.au


Think about the next steps you need to take –

  • Do you need to contact your lender?
  • Do you need to cancel/replace missing cards?
  • Do your house locks need changing now?
  • What other keys have you lost? Gym tags etc.
  • Check out Facebook, there is tonnes of dedicated pages there to help recover stolen cars.

Replacing your car –

If your car isn’t recovered, is damaged too much or you no longer want it after someone else has abused it (as is often the case) then you will need to think about replacing it.

Sometimes, depending on your policy, your insurer may assist you with this.

If not, be sure to ask us about our specialist service for victims of car theft, designed to take the hassle out of finding your new car and dedicated to getting you back on the road as soon as possible.

There is all sorts of pain and inconvenience that comes with having a car stolen, don’t let the process of finding a new car be one them.

If you’re reading this article, then you or someone you know has probably experienced some grief of late. We wish you all the best and hope that your insurer is kind and swift in getting your pride and joy back on the road or replaced.

Good luck!

#buddybuy  #newcarsnewmethods #abetterwaytobuy